Reflector Goodness!

May 28, 2008

So I wanted to share a little something with all of you that can make a huge difference in your photography.  I purchased my first reflector a short time ago and today was the first time I had a chance to try it out and what a difference it made.

Now keep in mind these are pretty much straight out of camera shots with a child that hates the camera and with just a little boost to clarity.  But as you can see the before and after are dramatic.  Now if I could just train Sarah to hold it and not try to scorch us like ants with a magnifying glass we’ll be okay, but that’s another issue.

Oh, and not to worry if you don’t have a pyro named Sarah; they have reflector stands.

Now for those of you that don’t know, you can buy reflectors here and here for pretty cheap and channel all the natural light you need to make your photos sparkle.   I purchased the 32″ silver/white reflector, which was about $24.95, but they come in all shapes and sizes.

Now go get crackin’!

Before:

After:

1. Allison says:

Wow! What a difference! That second shot really does sparkle.

I can’t wait to get a better camera and learn more about photography. I love looking at your photos–they are always gorgeous!

May 28th, 2008 at 11:42 pm

2. kspin says:

You are so nice to give tips! I wish more photography blogs would do that, I need all the help I can get! :)

May 29th, 2008 at 12:18 am

Wow! What a big difference!

So how do you determine what size to get? I was just thinking about this very thing the other day. Wondering how much one of those light reflector umbrella thingies that the pro’s use would cost… See how technical I am? hehe I know, you are quite impressed and intimidated by my grasp of the photography lingo.

When things settle down for you, I am ready for your photo assignments or even a WW with a theme. I need some motivation to get crackin’ with my new camera!

May 29th, 2008 at 1:48 am

Hallie;

Wow, what a noticable difference. What a sweet little girl. AND I have to say that she had impecable manners…always a thank you. So what’s your trick to that?

Kimmie
    mama to 6
    one homemade and 5 adopted

May 29th, 2008 at 7:11 am

5. Caution says:

I love the difference the reflector makes! Do you have to continually rearrange it though to capture the light?

May 29th, 2008 at 7:41 am

6. Deborah says:

Wow! That is great! We’re off to our nearest “big” city this weekend. I think we may have to make a stop at our favorite photography store while we’re there and check out their reflectors. I’d love to do some experimenting with one.

Blessings!

May 29th, 2008 at 8:50 am

7. Gayle says:

What a precious little girl! I’ll have to check out the reflector thingys.

May 29th, 2008 at 4:27 pm

8. JoLynn Braley says:

Hi, I am so not a pro photographer but I can really see the difference in the photos. I’m assuming that you put together your blog header with your own photos, too? It’s really great, very creative and fun, great job!! :)

May 29th, 2008 at 4:35 pm

9. Dianne - Bunny Trails says:

That’s so cool. I’ve wanted to get one for awhile now. I also heard that you can use those fold-up window shades sometimes. I do have one with a silver side. I may try it one of these days . . . just to see if it works.

Thanks for the links, too. :D

May 30th, 2008 at 10:22 am

10. Hallie says:

Once you find your light, the reflector only needs to be repositioned if your suject won’t sit still. :) The size that you buy would be determined by how much of the area you want illuminated.

June 1st, 2008 at 5:42 am

11. katef says:

wow that is rather nifty!
    I wonder if there is a DIY option? I wonder if my sun shade for the car windscreen might work LOL

June 2nd, 2008 at 8:48 pm