Keeping Them Busy

July 29, 2008

I wish I was more crafty.  I need to have some tricks up my sleeve.  Anyone have some easy toddler crafts they would like to share with a craft impaired mother?

1. Leora says:

This takes a bit of work, but one of my favorite activities with kids is making collages. Mommy has to do a lot of cutting out of old magazines. You can pick a color theme to learn about a specific color. Then just take a construction paper sheet of the toddler choice and glue, glue, glue.

July 29th, 2008 at 8:32 am

2. Emily says:

My little girls used to use clay and I’d bake it for them. The stuff was pretty dang ugly when they were small, but now…if the pieces survived their childhood…those pieces are like treasures to me!

July 29th, 2008 at 11:47 am

3. Gayle says:

I buy a lot of $1 birdhouses and clay pots from Michael’s or Joanns, cover them in an old t-shirt, use my acrylic paints and let them have at it. The plan is to spray varnish them and set them around the garden.

July 29th, 2008 at 12:59 pm

4. Daiquiri says:

We’re all about the play dough around here. I make my own – the recipe is on my blog if you’re interested.

Also, getting a few pieces of paper from the recycling bin and a pair of kid-friendly/safe scissors will keep my 2 1/2 year old busy for a good hour!

Another one…sink play. I’ll fill the bathroom or kitchen about 1/3 full, and give her different kitchen spoons, cups, funnels, etc. Another hour “down the drain” hehe.

Or how about a non toxic glue stick and some cheerios/fruit loops? Sure to make a fun design on some construction paper.

And when all else fails and you just gotta have some mommy time? I am not ashamed to admit…PBS has come to my rescue many a time! Elmo, Reading Lions, Mr Rogers. Love ‘em.

Happy crafting :)

July 29th, 2008 at 1:42 pm

5. Heidi says:

We make gack. Not so tough. It’s water & cornstarch until it is this awesome consistancy that just slides off your hands. You can add color but that’s at the intermediate to hard stage, I wouldn’t try it on your first trick. That’s all I got.

July 29th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

6. Christy says:

Check out this blog… http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/
    She has great crafty ideas plus learning!

July 29th, 2008 at 2:41 pm

7. Hallie says:

Bingo Markers are fun. Gluing leaves and other natural items is fun. Painting with sponges, on bubble wrap, or on fleece. Make goop with corn starch and water.

Hope that helps.