Until They Meet Again

August 27, 2008

Tonight there will be no picture; I don’t have it in me.  There hasn’t been much that has made sense to me today.  Every seemingly insignificant thing that topped my priority list yesterday meant nothing today, after hearing the news just after 12:00 am this morning about little Christian unexpectedly passing away.

The moment I read the opening line of Amy’s email, I knew my eyes would next fall upon words I would not want to read.  When I then saw Marsha and David’s names, I did not want to read the next sentence and I held my breath for a brief moment.

Since then, there has been no words to describe the pain I feel in my heart for my dear friend Marsha and her family.  The tears I have shed over the last twenty-two hours cannot begin to come close to that of a parent that has lost their most precious gift in this life.   Although we can look into the faces of our own children and only imagine how we would feel, I know that we could never really know or comprehend their loss without living such a nightmare ourselves.

Even though we know that little Christian is in the loving arms of Jesus right now and is rejoicing in his heavenly home, the mama, daddy and brothers that loved him so, are living through their very darkest hours.

Through our human eyes we can never make sense of such a tragic event, but through spiritual eyes we know that God is with us, holding us up, when we cannot stand to face such overwhelming sadness and grief.  We know that only God knows the reason and as many times as I have asked why today, I know that there will not be an answer.  I do know that in God’s sovereignty, He is just and right and good and above all, He loves us deeply and is deeply pained to see our broken hearts.  Ultimately He does that which will bring glory to Himself and only heaven will bring us the answers we so desperately seek.

“To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.”—Isaiah 61:3

Please pray for Marsha, David and the boys. I know that our words will be insufficient at such a time as this because nothing but Jesus can heal these wounds, but yet our prayers and support will be needed from this point forward.  Until this family is reunited with their sweet “Dozer” in eternity.

The righteous man perishes, and no man takes it to heart; And devout men are taken away, while no one understands. For the righteous man is taken away from evil,

1. chickadee says:

oh me too. tears and sadness all day.

August 27th, 2008 at 11:05 pm

2. julsntexas says:

Heartwrenching…
    All day long I’ve been hearing the words of Elisabeth Elliot – “You are loved with an everlasting love… and underneath are the everlasting arms.” I’ve been praying all day for those everlasting arms to hold the Drews through this time.

August 27th, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Perfectly fitting for no picture. Even though words are inadequate. It’s been such a heart-heavy couple of days. Your tribute is quite poignant, Hallie. Praise God that we have Him to turn to, lean upon, and rest in. Without Him, I don’t know how people cope.

August 28th, 2008 at 9:33 am

4. sprittibee says:

Yes, it has thrown my week totally off. I find myself just sitting here – staring. Breaking in to tears. Crying out to God. Feeling my heart crack again.

Today I went to give song titles to Renae because she got an IPOD for Marsha and she’s putting music on it. My kids and I spent the morning looking through all the music on my hard drive (and there’s a lot), crying over every sad song.

There are just no words… but we need to keep pouring our hearts out for her. One day she’ll be able to read it. Our souls are grieving with her – and that is true friendship – the kind that Christ desires.

Hope she just knows that we love her. That is all we can offer. Jesus has to do the rest.

August 28th, 2008 at 10:33 am

5. Bethany aka 40winkzzz says:

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I, too, have been in tears. I am amazed at how much I can hurt for a “friend” whom I’ve never met.

August 28th, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I will cover them in prayer, I can’t imagine. May God comfort them and hold them tight.

Kimmie

August 28th, 2008 at 6:08 pm

7. Peapodsquadmom says:

Broken-hearted and praying that God’s sufficient grace and love will carry them through this horrible time.

August 28th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

8. Emily says:

I’m still heartbroken. I ache for that family. Never having met him…look at how he’s changed people.

August 29th, 2008 at 12:02 am

9. kspin says:

I’m so sorry for your friend’s loss as well as your pain. I lost a childhood friend just one week ago and I can’t imagine what her family is feeling, knowing how much loss I felt. I’m sure this sentiment you wrote will bring them comfort someday, and I pray that you will find some too. Thinking about you…

August 29th, 2008 at 12:15 am

10. Amy (Dandelion Seeds) says:

I have made a post asking for people to cover the Drews family in prayer for 24 hours leading up to the 25th of September, marking one month without “Dozer”. Please stop by and add your name if you’d like, and share it on your blog for others that might be willing to “help” this family through prayer.

Thanks,
    Amy (aka Dandelion Seeds)

September 4th, 2008 at 2:27 am

Thank you for your prayers and your tears, dear Hallie!

God has helped us make it through the past month without our sweet Christian. He is always faithful and true and loving– even when we don’t understand. We just have to TRUST HIM.

I am praying for you too, dear friend. I am so thankful that God has given you direction and a peace about your business. I imagine it is not easy but just think of the wonderful blessings He has in store for you and your family!!!

Much love to you,