Class Break

September 15, 2008

I ran out of class tonight along side a couple male classmates to find snacks and use the phone.  Time was about up, so I wandered back upstairs and into the bathroom before going back to class.

I admired the trendy facility, which I had never been in until tonight.  As I exited the stall, to my horror was the fifty-year-old male classmate that I had just walked outside with.   He was facing the wall and didn’t realize I was there, which was a good thing because I was frozen in my spot, all the while trying to process why he was in the women’s room.

In the seconds that followed, every conceivable thought raced through my head. “Is, he in the women’s room, am I in the men’s room…is this a communal bathroom I should know about?” It suddenly hit me, I must be in the men’s room, (although there were no urinals in sight,) and I had no where to run.

To avoid trying to hide, then getting caught, if saw me trying to duck back into the stall, I blurted out from behind him, “Oh my gosh, I am in the men’s room!”

He turned around completely startled and started to laugh hysterically at the hilarity of the situation, which was by the way a good thing considering, I was laughing out of control by this point.

I calmly walked over to the sink and proceeded to wash my hands, (and spotted the urinals in an out of the way location.)  Just then a twenty-something came through the door.  I laughed and looked at him, “Sorry, wrong bathroom.  You don’t mind if I finish washing my hands do you?”

He politely smiled and stood there dumbfounded by the door until I was finished.  I walked out with my head up, laughing at myself all the way back to class.  My poor classmate was laughing so hard, I didn’t think he would recover.

Although this was all very funny, it seems like these kinds of things are becoming much more common place.  I’m a bit afraid to find out what I’ll do next.  And no suggestions please.

1. chickadee says:

oh that was good! good laughing here.

September 15th, 2008 at 11:26 pm

I don’t even know what to say. You can be sure this will get brought back up at the most inopportune time.

I’m definitely going to have some fun with this…

September 16th, 2008 at 12:13 am

oh. my. goodness. Glad you could laugh at the whole thing. Madness, I tell you. Maybe God just knew you needed a good, hearty laugh. LOL!!! :D

September 16th, 2008 at 9:36 am

4. Nikowa says:

ROFL… can’t say I’ve done that but I’ve come close!

You have a great sense of humor Hallie!

September 16th, 2008 at 9:56 am

5. Doug says:

Hallie -

I was just popping in to see what’s new and found this post awaiting. ;-) Do I really need to comment? (grin) I do love your sense of humor! I am also so happy for you, taking this course! A few hours away to pursue a passion – good for you! Fantastic photo’s you’ve posted as well – nice!

…Thinking about you – take care!

Doug

September 16th, 2008 at 3:58 pm

6. Allison says:

HAHAHA! That is absolutely hilarious.

September 16th, 2008 at 4:35 pm

7. Bobbie says:

Bravo! You handled it so well! Bravo!

Next time peek out and scream ” Is it gone? Did you see that huge rat in the hallway???”

Trust me…there will be a next time.

Because of Jesus, Bobbie

September 16th, 2008 at 5:25 pm

8. Tim says:

Only you Hallie, Well, you know what they say. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. That story really needed to be told. Thanks.

September 16th, 2008 at 5:44 pm

9. Karen says:

Chuckling here! Glad you can laugh too. I still remember many (horrors–has it been 20?)years ago when I was cleaning offices to earn a bit of money. I had an experience where an employee actually stepped OVER my supplies blocking the men’s restroom doorway, dashing in to make use of the facilities. I still remember the shock on his face as he saw me–cleaning the urinals!

September 16th, 2008 at 7:19 pm

10. Gayle @ The White House says:

Man, that sucks! Really. I won’t tell you what you’ll do next…you can blog it! :)

September 18th, 2008 at 3:51 am

11. M~ says:

Oh my goodness that is hysterical!!! I just dropped by from Over the Moon….and I’m so glad I did, thanks for the chuckle!!

September 19th, 2008 at 5:51 pm