A Cure for My Indifference

February 3, 2009

A short time ago I had a fairly deep conversation with my sister-in-law and she said something that resonated with me deeply.  Although, at the time I didn’t feel it applied to me.

A few days later I was driving and voicing my ongoing indifference over a particular issue in my life.  Even though I had been sincerely grieved over my feelings, or lack thereof, I knew I was powerless to change them without God’s help.  My insightful fifteen-year-old looked at me a repeated the words my SIL had spoken that day, “The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference.”

Whoa.  Who knew she was listening.

I always appreciate being humbled by my children.

And then the phone rang.

A dying man called my house looking for another girl that used to work at the local hospital with the same last name.  He was calling her to say goodbye, but he found me instead.

I politely asked him his situation, which was grim.  He told me the story and I encouraged him to find his friend and not to give up looking for her.  Then I asked him if I could pray with him.  He seemed genuinely pleased and concluded that God had him dial my number for a reason.  I concluded the same thing.

I prayed and then I asked him if he knew Jesus.  He told me that long ago he was a spirit filled Christian, but he had backslidden many years ago.  I encouraged him to call again if he wanted me to pray with him, or if he just needed an ear.

In the midst of it, my heart softened and I was humbled that God would use me in the midst of the struggle with my own sin.   Sometimes it is hard to see the value God places on me, even when He and I both I know I am not pleasing Him with my actions.   I praise God for His mercy; I would’ve kicked me to the curb by now.

I love it when we can so clearly see God’s hand in our lives! It’s exciting and humbling. He really never does let go of us, even when we let go of Him. And He never stops loving. He’s never indifferent. He will always be faithful to His character. On that we can stand.

love,
    dianne

February 3rd, 2009 at 11:45 am

2. Dell says:

What a beautiful reminder of God’s faithfulness, mercy, and amazing plan for us! THanks for sharing this encouragement this morning!

February 3rd, 2009 at 12:16 pm

3. Jill says:

The hymn Grace Greater Than Our Sin came to mind while reading your post.

God is good. All the time. Even to us when we are far from good.

Grace, grace, God’s grace,
    Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
    Grace, grace, God’s grace,
    Grace that is greater than all our sin

February 3rd, 2009 at 12:38 pm

4. Kristine says:

Amazing how God uses if when we don’t think we’re worth using. For me that’s usually when I “get it”. Thanks for sharing.

February 3rd, 2009 at 1:32 pm

5. Tanya @ texastanya.net says:

Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

February 3rd, 2009 at 2:13 pm

6. Nadine says:

What a beautiful post. And you’ve got one smart 15 year old!

February 3rd, 2009 at 3:58 pm

7. Kim says:

God has often used my kids to wield the “bat” I needed knocked up side my head. Our family knows us so well and while we can fool other people, we’ll never fool them. Or God.

I’m glad God is so patient with us! I can totally relate to your last sentence :-)

February 3rd, 2009 at 5:28 pm

8. Alissa says:

Wow, I have a lot of trouble feeling indifferent about certain things. It is such an easy cop out. Thanks for sharing that and your interaction with that gentleman. What an amazing way the Lord works!

February 3rd, 2009 at 5:37 pm

9. Nikowa@KHA says:

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

That is incredible that he called you. WOW. I’m speechless.

February 3rd, 2009 at 7:22 pm

10. Renae says:

Yes, thank God for his mercy and grace. He is our strength in weakness. Our hope in despair.

God is using you and me even when we cannot see it. Thank you for sharing this encouraging thought! I needed it this morning.

February 5th, 2009 at 10:36 am

11. Lacianna says:

that is really cool you see how God works.I love when that happens.Good word Sarah.

February 5th, 2009 at 6:38 pm

12. Shutterbug says:

I’m so glad you were there when he called.
    It reminds me that – …all things work together for good to those who love the God and are called according to His purpose. Though your heart is heavy, and it seems too much to bear at times, I’m praying for you.
    If I could reach you, I would hug you, and then we’d get coffee and donuts. ;)
    Love ya lady,
    Marie :)

February 6th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

13. sprittibee says:

Sitting here with goosebumps. Gave me chills. What an awesome post.

:) ((HUGS))

February 9th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

14. Sherry at EX Marks the Spot says:

Quite simply, a beautiful post. God works in mysterious ways.

February 11th, 2009 at 5:00 am