WW – Desperate Seeking Color

February 24, 2009

I have been desperately seeking color amidst the gray, lifeless days of winter.  I’m sure there’s beauty out there somewhere, yet it has cleverly eluded me.

I didn’t have the winter blues at this time last year.  Maybe it was because I hadn’t yet photographed every item within arms reach, yet, as of today, I have finally come to the end of things within my dwelling to photograph.  This is actually a blessing, since I thought I had reached that point weeks ago, but alas, this one bit of color was hiding.

Depressing I tell you.

“So just go outside,” you say?

Do you know how cold it is out there?  Did I mention I live in CT and I wear six layers just to walk to the kitchen?  And did I mention static cling has permanently taken up residence in my hair?  One touch from me could short circuit your pacemaker.

Oh yeah and one more thing.   It’s cold and dreary and lifeless out there.  And who wants to take pictures of dirty snow, grey skies and naked trees?  Not me, that’s who.

Now that I’m temporarily done whining, here are a few links that might help your photography.  Winter or otherwise.

Photohowto has some tips on improving your winter photos, if you are someone who likes cold and snow.

There is a video on Scott Kelby’s blog by the talented and brutally honest Zack Arias that is a must see.   If you haven’t checked out Zack’s One Light DVD, get over there now!  You don’t know what you are missing.

Shutter Sisters is hosting the One Word project and giving away a Lensbaby Composer to one fortunate winner.  And last but not least, check out Spoon Graphics for some awesome free textures.

See ya. I’m off to find my electric blanket.

perty.

February 24th, 2009 at 10:55 pm

2. From the Rubber Room » WW - Desperate Seeking Color says:

[...] From the Rubber Room » WW – Desperate Seeking Color [...]

February 24th, 2009 at 11:54 pm

3. Robin says:

That’s a great bowl – it really adds a dose of vibrant color.

I’m with you on this whole winter thing, and we don’t even have to deal with snow and ice. Come on spring already!

February 25th, 2009 at 6:50 am

4. fidget says:

so should i not mention that it’s 70 and gorgeous here today?

February 25th, 2009 at 9:33 am

5. Shutterbug says:

Love the bowl, sorry to hear about your hair. LOL! :D
    I have stuggled on the last to hikes we’ve been on to find thing to photograph, but there were a few things. I am limited in my ability to change them much from straight out of the camera shots. I have a Mac and the iphoto that comes with it has “some” lighting and color changes for brightening, but nothing fancy.
    I can not tell you how happy I am to have you blogging more often!! :D
    Blessing and prayers,
    Marie :)

February 25th, 2009 at 9:51 am

6. Simply Sara says:

I’m with you on the whole winter thing…we’re ready for spring over here too :)

February 25th, 2009 at 10:48 am

7. Maureen says:

That’s the wordiest wordless Wednesday post I have ever seen. Luckily it was amusing and true. Great shot and wonderful colors!

Mine’s up at:

Happy WW!

February 25th, 2009 at 2:23 pm

8. pamela says:

love the bowl

February 25th, 2009 at 2:39 pm

9. Tanya says:

but what a bowl of color you did find :)

February 25th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

10. eph2810 says:

Oops – linked to the incorrect post – sorry Hallie. Please remove this link from this post. Should go to the photo challenge…

BTW – thank you for the link to the ‘Shutter Sisters’. My beloved has a Lensbaby and I love it. Just won’t fit on my camera, because he has a Sony :lol:

February 28th, 2009 at 10:56 am

Beautiful shot, Hallie! The colors are gorgeous. I know exactly what you mean. I’m having a difficult time finding anything interesting – no, anything with COLOR – to shoot. Even when it’s not cold, it’s still very dull outside. And inside? Well, we aren’t completely unpacked and our walls are white. Need to paint and hang pix, finish unpacking, etc. So it’s all rather generic right now.

Sorry I missed you on Wednesday! I love your picture.

March 1st, 2009 at 11:29 pm

12. RoRofusion says:

Great shot. I love the bright colors in the bowl against the plain textured wood. very good, thanx!

April 15th, 2009 at 11:08 pm