Longing for Heaven in A World Filled with Sorrow

March 6, 2009

2 Corinthians 5:4  ”For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life.”

My mother used to repeat an old saying, “Don’t be so heavenly minded, that you are no earthly good.”  But lately, my longing for heaven is so present.

I wonder what it will be like.  Will the rocks really cry out, or will the flowers sing praises to God?  I’m sure they will.  Can you imagine a field of the most beautiful flowers singing out to their Creator? Maybe we will all have our own type of heaven, by God giving to us things that compliment our personalities.

Of course we won’t know until then, but it brings me joy to imagine.

I know that our home is this foreign place is only temporary and someday I will be free from pain and sorrow and the evil things of this world.  But until then, I wait with patient endurance.

It Is Well with My Soul

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

1. kspin says:

Do you ever wonder how those without faith function in times of sorrow? Even in my toughest struggles, it’s always a relief to know that we are working our way back to unending happiness…thanks for the reminder. and take care of you! :)

March 8th, 2009 at 11:46 am

2. Nikowa@KHA says:

It’ll be so great! I agree with kspin, I can’t imagine not having Hope.

March 8th, 2009 at 6:57 pm

3. Mr. Westcott says:

Maybe a nice drive in the back roads, some great photos and a good picnic will bring smiles and sunshine your way…

Jet’ Taime’

RWW the other 1/2

X O X O X O

March 8th, 2009 at 11:33 pm

4. Daiquiri says:

I’m feeling it too! I long for His return more and more lately. Not so much because of deep suffering…more of a feeling of homesickness or something. I just want the craziness to end. I want Him. All the time. Everywhere.

It’s probably once a day when I’m snuggling a baby or singing praises…my eyes are closed…and all I can think is “Now, Lord. Come now! Let me open my eyes as be in your presence!” Am I sounding like a lunatic?

We’re not the only ones feeling it either – many of my Christian friends are longing for it lately too. It makes me wonder, is He preparing our hearts for something? Oh, I hope so!

Or maybe this is just part of the territory as a believer. He puts a little taste of heaven in us, and we can’t help but want more? Maybe it’s His way of helping us keep a healthy eternal perspective?

March 9th, 2009 at 10:59 am

5. dianne says:

I think it’s a good thing, because it keeps us from becoming too comfortable and complacent with this temporal life here on earth. He wants our eyes ever heaven-ward and it begins in our hearts.

Lovely post, Hallie.

March 10th, 2009 at 10:20 pm

6. Ian says:

I can really understand the sentiment you expressed but lately I’ve been thinking about taking an alternative approach. I’ve always been taught that this earthly existence is just temporary and that eventually we will experience something better but, for me it has had the effect of devaluing now. So much of my Christian life has been waiting, waiting for something better that God is ushering in at some future time.

So, now I want to experience life just like everybody else. With all the joy, pain, boredom, frustration, failure, fear and all the other emotions of everyday, normal life. To be a regular person living a regular life …

March 11th, 2009 at 4:55 am

That is my most most mostest favoritist song. ;o)

How the meaning deepens when you know the story behind the song, the pain, the loss, the anguish of soul, that brought the song into life…but still he clung to His God…his very loving Sovereign God…who was able to keep his feet on earth and to put a song on his lips while he continued here on earth…

Oh, that I would sing unto God, as our brother Horatio Spafford and may all those around me see, that indeed, it is WELL with my soul.

And may it be the same unto you and yours dear Hallie.

xoxoxox
    Kimmie
    mama to 7
    one homemade and 6 adopted

March 14th, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I have a longing now that is greater than ever before! I think about Heaven often and just. want. to. go. now.

But then I look around me, especially at my boys and David, and realize that it is not time yet. So I have to be some earthly good around here and try to bring as many people with me! It is but a little while here, right? And it is temporary. So we best get on about our business for God!!!

As to that song… *sigh* It is one of my most favorite of all time. At Christian’s funeral, we opened the service with that song as a congregational. It wasn’t easy to sing out every verse, but then when I started thinking about it I knew I had to sing loud and clear and proclaim the hope we have in Jesus Christ alone!

I can’t wait to see Jesus face to face. And hug my little Christian again.

But I will wait and will try to be useful to Christ until then.

Love you, my friend.

March 18th, 2009 at 11:13 am

9. Ginger says:

God is just so awesome and I that is my favorite hymn of all time.

March 24th, 2009 at 10:42 pm

As I reread the words, I realized that I had never heard the 5th verse before.

I guess it was waiting there for me to read tonight. Right when I need it.

April 14th, 2009 at 11:42 pm